NPR ran a survey with the IBM Watson group to see what Americans think of healthcare and costs. Overall, 20% had postponed or canceled healthcare services because of cost, but a full 97% had filled their prescriptions, a number that is higher than the industry perception (we think, we can't speak for the whole industry -Ed.) and most, but not all, know about copay programs.
Some of the summary stats were:
- 68% of respondents said they are aware of coupons that are available from drug manufacturers
- 66% of respondents said that they had received a prescription in the last three months
- 19% of respondents who said they had a prescription filled said they had difficulty paying for it
- 26% of all respondents said that they had difficulty paying for healthcare services over the last three months
- 34% of respondents who were aware of these coupons said they had used them when filling a prescription