Watch our discussion about the relevant stories of the week. From left to right in the video:
Humanlike features in automated decision tools build trust
There is a large body of research in the neuromarketing field that points toward human-like information delivery and feedback as a way to increase trust and adherence with the advice. This report by Clemson University shows that anthropomorphic features make information presented to patients increased their trust in the information.
Because smartphone apps offer opportunities for health care management, lead study author Richard Pak wanted to find out how visual anthropomorphic characteristics might influence someone’s level of trust in mobile apps designed to help users make health-related decisions. There are many types of such characteristics that can be incorporated into an automated tool, including language, behavior or complex interactions.
Of particular interest to anyone running an adherence program for older adults is that they seem to place more trust in automated aids than other age groups.
A survey of 155 “healthcare extenders” has provided some insight into how these allied health workers use digital assets to help educate patients. This data was gathered in February and March of 2012 and the website provides a full white paper, a presentation deck, and an infographic.
- 55% print materials for patients and 40% co-browse websites with the patient. Health sites that include good patient PDFs and reputable information will be popular with this group.
- 15% of allied health did not use digital channels with patients, the other 85% used desktops, smartphones, tablets, and other channels.
- The 40-59 age group over indexed on digital education with patients across the board as compared to the 19-39 age group.
Social PR flame ups are not new, and this one is not really related to the health space, but this story should be reviewed by every healthcare marketer. There are two important issues going on here, only one of which has to do with social media:
- Progressive used its legal team to defend the killer of its policyholder. This may or may not be common practice in the insurance industry, but it is repugnant on a “common sense” level and customers will feel violated by it. Try to ensure your business practices do not turn on your customers like this.
- When attacked on social media, the brand used a “canned” response to all questions. This policy may be legally safest, but it stoked the social media fires and ensured that the criticism grew to epic proportions. Here is the canned response:
“This is a tragic case, and our sympathies go out to Mr. Fisher and his family for the pain they’ve had to endure. We fully investigated this claim and relevant background, and feel we properly handled the claim within our contractual obligations. Again, this is a tragic situation, and we’re sorry for everything Mr. Fisher and his family have gone through.”
Contrast this situation with a heartwarming post on Panera’s Facebook page that has gained over 640,000 likes so far.
Physicians see twice as many Reps using iPads as last year
The tablet market moves fast. Between 2010 and 2011 we saw a doubling of how many HCPs own iPads, and now in 2012 we see a doubling of how many see Reps with iPads.
- How many HCPs saw a Rep with an iPad? 2011: 30%; 2012: 65%
- Among those ePharma Physicians interacting with an iPad Rep, 35 percent say they are more likely to request a sample and 29 percent say they are more likely to consider prescribing the drug
If you are considering what to do with iPads in the field, check out Klick iCONNECT™ – and make every rep as good as your best rep.
This story makes a good point about the difference with having a social media account and actually using it. The Boomer generation is not as deeply immersed in social media as the younger generations such as Gen-X (32-47 year olds). However, they hold their own with “tradigital” (traditional digital) activities such as search and email.
In related news, companies are overwhelmingly on social media for marketing purposes with Facebook and Twitter the top channels.
J&J is planning to participate in The Sims Social (the version that runs on Facebook) in September in time for back to school. They will be providing value to users who watch a brand video, reportedly in-game currency or similar reward.
The company says female teen gamers are a big chunk of The Sims Social players and that females outnumber males in web-based gaming.
So, what’s up with this fad of social media anyway? Won’t it just go away if we ignore it? Not likely.
McKinsey has studied social technologies and estimated what firms in different industries can gain from it. Pharmaceuticals and health services are included (separately, for more accuracy) and it will not come as a surprise that the report indicates there is significant value to be unlocked, but there are regulatory hurdles that slow adoption. Not exactly news for the industry, but it is refreshing to see the value / effort equation compared to other industries as diverse as consumer packaged goods, natural resources, and transportation, just to name a few.
Pharma is fourth on the list, a good showing for such a regulated industry, and the report indicates there is significant value still to be unlocked using these technologies.
In an effort to make their product ingredients more transparent and quell speculation and urban myths about consumer products, J&J has launched Our Safety and Care Commitment. At the same they have announced wide-ranging commitments, such as removing Formaldehyde from products, as reported in the New York Times.
“There’s a public discussion underway about the ingredients in beauty care products, and we think it’s important to be part of that,” said Susan Nettesheim, Vice President of Product Stewardship & Toxicology for Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc. “Consumers today expect more information and greater transparency than ever before…”
Social media is a powerful source for good, it can create connections and encourage virtuous cycles of healthy activity. However, it also can pose a risk to any corporate brand. This report is based on 33 interviews with corporate brand stewards and investigates the risks inherent in the new technologies.
Organizations can choose to shift from being reactive to proactive. The best ways for organizations to become proactive and reduce the impact of a social media crisis is to have a social media crisis management process in place.
Not surprisingly, weight loss and exercise apps dominate the category at roughly 60% of all downloads. The remaining 40% is made up of:
- Women’s health
- Sleep and meditation
- Tools and instruments
A piece of research on how the design of copay programs changes their outcomes.
- “Pay No More Than” language leading to a 31% improvement in subsequent fills over “Save Up To” language
- Plastic cards were 49% more likely to lead to subsequent redemptions than paper cards
- Online offers lead to increased adherence over printed offers by just under 20%
- Request for comments on Guidance for Industry: Suicidal Ideation and Behavior: Prospective Assessment of Occurrence in Clinical Trials