The YouTube audience is now watching more than one billion hours of video every single day according to a story that broke on the Wall Street Journal. This looks like it will position the platform to compete head to head with cable television for ad dollars.
“YouTube’s decision a few years ago to prioritize viewing time, rather than clicks, has made the platform an increasingly effective advertising vehicle,” said eMarketer principal video analyst Paul Verna. … “Marketers have long prized time spent as a measure of engagement, so YouTube’s emphasis on that aspect of its platform has positioned the company to capture a growing share of TV budgets,” Verna said. “It also set the stage for YouTube to enter the live TV arena, which it plans to do sometime this year.”
Other stories from eMarketer:
- Facebook Adds VR to the Timeline
- eMarketer Releases New Snapchat Usage Numbers
- Are Brands Spending Too Much Money on the Wrong Content?
- Older Women Outsmart Younger Counterparts in Money Management
- For Kids, Social Is a Key Source for News
This story first appeared in the Klick Wire, delivered 7AM every Monday. Sign up to get the Wire today!