Before we even get into the content, recognize that this is an infographic from a video vendor, so the data presented is shaped to sell their service. Still, it all seems reasonable, it matches our experience with the platforms, and it makes sense from a psychological perspective.
The short message? If your online video doesn’t play smoothly, you’re annoying your audience and they may associate that poor experience with your brand. Here are some of the outcomes of poor video performance:
- 62% will have a negative perception of the brand
- 60% say the experience would dissuade them from engaging with the brand’s other social properties
- 57% are less likely to share the video with others
- 33% of respondents say that buffering interrupts half of their YouTube video views
- 33% (actually 1/3 on the infographic) say that this causes them to abandon the video
It’s well known that performance affects brand perception, so make sure to test all of your social media platforms, especially video.
Source: Brightcove Infographic