Ever feel like because you work in pharma your brands are just never going to have compelling influencer campaigns like other big industries? Well, weâ€™re here to argue that you can execute a strong influencer campaign, the road to execution is simply longer than other industries.
Why influencers and where to begin
The biggest reason that using influencers will benefit your brand is consumers are much more likely to trust and engage with influencer content than brand content. When using an influencer to present branded messages, your campaign is expressed in a way that feels natural and approachable from the consumerâ€™s perspective.
We believe two things need to be considered when planning an influencer campaign. The first, is mapping out exactly how you plan to use these influencers and foreseeing any Regulatory hurdles you may have to overcome to achieve your vision. The second, is nailing down the right influencer that is best suited for your brand and strategy.
Letâ€™s talk about the roadmap for influencer campaigns. It is comprised of a few key milestones.
Influencer campaign strategy milestones:
- Define explicitly how you want to use influencers
- Will they be in your brandâ€™s campaign? Will they be deploying sponsored brand content on their channels? Will they help create the content for your brand?
- Map out all the key brant events throughout the year where an influencer could partake in
- Is there a disease education month? Is there a conference? A launch event? Define what is happening throughout the year where the brand could benefit from an influencerâ€™s reach.
- Mitigate any risks of using influencers and Regulatory hurdles before execution
- Work with your Regulatory team to define exclusion criteria to assist in the vetting process for influencer selection. Additionally, collaborate with your Regulatory team to determine how influencer content can be approved and develop an ad hoc approval process for any last minute influencer submissions that may arise during the content creation phase.
Now that youâ€™ve got your influencer campaign roadmap defined, it is time to consider who your perfect influencers are.
Influencer selection criteria:
- Relevancy among target audience
- Will your target connect with this influencer? Do they have interests that are relatable to your audience? Does the reach and relevance of the influencer outweigh the price of the influencer?
- Strong following comprised of target audience
- Are they followed by your target audience? Does your target audience engage with them?
- Creative medium that the influencer typically communicates in that is appropriate for your brand or appropriate for the type of content your audience consumes
- Does your audience absorb information in video format? Do they connect with written content? Is your brandâ€™s campaign highly visual and so is your influencerâ€™s content?
Using these criteria will help your brand select an influencer whom your target audience will trust – one who feels natural for your brand – and an influencer who has a passion for your brandâ€™s mission. Once youâ€™ve got the influencer in place, itâ€™s time to start the content creation. This process becomes a dialogue between the brand and influencer to create a final piece of content that feels natural coming from the influencer while containing all the desired messages from the brand.
A successful influencer campaign will come from the brand team, the influencer, and Regulatory all working together towards a common vision. Thinking long-term about how to use your influencer will drive your brandâ€™s reach and heighten the impact of your brandâ€™s campaign. Â